Welcome to The American Serial Killer Guidebook!!!!
June 6, 2022

Ep. 12 Perez Deshay Reed - The Crescent Moon Killer - America's Newest ALLEGED Serial Killer

Ep. 12 Perez Deshay Reed - The Crescent Moon Killer - America's Newest ALLEGED Serial Killer

Let me start by saying that the subject in this week’s episode is innocent until proven guilty and any and all crimes discussed are crimes ALLEGED to have been committed by Perez Deshay Reed. At this point in the investigation and trial process, we are calling him the alleged Crescent Moon Killer until jurisprudence has run its course.

To date, Reed has allegedly killed 7 innocent victims who were simply unlucky enough to cross his path. Some were complete strangers while others were known to use drugs with Reed but regardless of their relationship, they all ended up with bullets from a .40 cal Smith & Wesson pistol in their heads.



Let me start by saying that the subject in this week’s episode is innocent until proven guilty and any and all crimes discussed are crimes ALLEGED to have been committed by Perez Deshay Reed. At this point in the investigation and trial process, we are calling him the alleged Crescent Moon Killer until jurisprudence has run its course.

To date, Reed has allegedly killed 7 innocent victims who were simply unlucky enough to cross his path. Some were complete strangers while others were known to use drugs with Reed but regardless of their relationship, they all ended up with bullets from a .40 cal Smith & Wesson pistol in their heads.




Visit our store  HERE for all of your favorite serial killer gear!!!

Donate on Anchor Here

Buy Me a Coffee

Review us on PodChaser

Please send all correspondence to:
The American Serial Killer Guidebook or TASKG
P.O. Box 3689
Lawton, Ok. 73502

Email Us:




--- Send in a voice message: https://anchor.fm/taskg/message Support this podcast: https://anchor.fm/taskg/support


A suspected serial killer already charged in six killings in the Kansas City and St. Louis areas has been charged with first-degree murder in a seventh death on Friday, May 27, 2022.

Most of his victims were women — some of whom were sex workers, officials said. The victims ranged in age from 16 to 49.

Jackson County Prosecutor Jean Peters Baker announced the new murder charge Friday against Perez Deshay Reed born 11/10/1995 of Bellefontaine Neighbors, MO. known to friends and family as JoJo. Baker also charged Reed with one count of armed criminal action and two counts of fraud involving a credit or debit device.

We are going to start at the end so to speak with the most recent victim

Nov. 2021 murder of Stephon D. Johnson, of [Kansas City, Missouri]

The most recent charges against the 26-year-old Reed, who lived in the St. Louis area, stem from the November 2021 shooting death of Stephon D. Johnson, of Kansas City, Missouri.

Johnson’s sister reported him missing in November of last year. On Nov. 8, 2021, police discovered someone shot and killed Johnson inside his KCMO apartment. He was found inside a closet in his apartment with a gunshot wound to the back of his head.

Investigators found the same type of handgun casings at each scene. Witnesses and the two survivors described the same man. But local detectives “hit a wall” after a while according to FBI special agent in charge Richard Quinn.

Reed had shown his driver’s license to enter the Wyandotte Towers apartment building on Oct. 29 in Kansas City. The woman, Rau’daja De’Naya Farrow, who accompanied him was found dead in her apartment several days later making Reed the prime suspect in the killings after officers matched the bullet casings found at the scene with those from the other murders.

An affidavit states that the Wyandotte Towers apartment complex gave police a picture of Reed's driver's license that was used to gain entry into the building. The apartment building's surveillance footage showed a Black man with a crescent tattoo on his forehead, the same as Reed's, walking with both victims.

After discovering that connection, St. Louis police officers looked at cell phone networks to see if any phones pinged at the same location. Reed’s phone was connected to two of the crime scenes on the nights of the murders and officers were able to connect the number to an Amtrak ticket that the suspect purchased to bring him back to St Louis.

Officers were tailing Reed on Nov. 5 when he got on an Amtrak train in Kansas City, Missouri, bound for St. Louis. They arrested him when he got off on the train's first stop in Independence and boarded a bus.

When he was arrested by the FBI’s Safe Streets Violent Crimes Task Force in nearby Independence on warrants from St. Louis County, they found a key and debit card belonging to Stephon Johnson on him that fit a deadbolt lock at Johnson's apartment, Baker's office said. Testing indicated DNA collected from an empty cigarillo package found in Johnson's apartment was connected to Reed, Baker's office said. Reed had a .40-caliber pistol with him that matched the St. Louis-area shootings in September but denied hurting anyone and told investigators that he found the gun in Jennings

Baker's office said the bullet found inside Johnson’s head was fired from the gun that Reed had on him when he was arrested. Witnesses also told police that a man who had been a guest of Johnson's was the 'serial killer' from St. Louis whom they had seen on the news. They identified him by the crescent moon tattoo on his forehead.

A check of security logs showed Reed visited Johnson’s apartment several times before his death. At the time of his arrest, officials said Reed was also wearing shoes that linked him to several crime scenes.

Let’s get a little background on Reed

Reed started living with his first cousin in 2004, when he was 8 years old. She officially became his guardian several years later, after his parents were deemed “unwilling, unable and unfit” to care for him, court records show. Reed’s mother, a teen when Reed was born, didn’t want to take care of him so she dumped him off on family but has since died.

His criminal history includes a reckless driving charge in Charlack in 2015 and an assault charge in 2019. In that case, he was charged with fourth-degree assault for allegedly head-butting a corrections officer at the St. Louis County Justice Center.

He had been arrested for riding the MetroLink without a ticket, gave false information about his identity and was arrested on outstanding warrants. That case had been continued multiple times because all of the notices to appear were returned as undeliverable mail.

In late 2017, Reed filed a federal lawsuit accusing a public defender of deprivation of rights while he was incarcerated at the St. Louis County Justice Center in Clayton.

In the suit, Reed said he was being falsely imprisoned and said he wanted the public defender to "stop harassing" him about undergoing a mental health exam before his trial, claiming he was "mentally fine," but a U.S. district judge dismissed his suit in early 2018.

Married in Jackson County on June 19, 2019, Reed appears to have split his time between Kansas City and St. Louis over the past few years and he had a few run ins with the law in both places.

His wife, Anysia Alder, was sued by her landlord in 2019. The landlord said in court documents that Reed was never approved to live in her apartment.


The landlord wrote, “Since mid-May 2019, Defendant Alder has exhibited deteriorating behavior,” going on to say she “entered and occupied another resident’s personal vehicle” and refused to leave, took other people’s property, incited, and took violent physical action and accosted other residents and staff, threatening violence, and death.

She intimidated them “with the presence of males not known to be occupants,” meaning Reed was with her when she was breaking into people’s property, stealing their shit, and threatening to assault and kill them. It sounds like he found someone just as crazy as he was which is bad news when you get two people like that together.


The landlord wanted Alder out in 24 hours, but for some unknown reason the case was later dismissed.


Reed’s wife filed for divorce in July 2021 and the case was set for a hearing Dec. 2 in Jackson County. Her aunt, Brenda Hooks said that relatives never trusted Reed and she thought he had psychological issues.


Alder had also sought a divorce in 2020 and Reed agreed to it in his response filed in court, but the case was dismissed when neither side showed up in court for the hearing.

Reed’s life has been plagued by issues not just with the law but his family as well. His aunt says he set their house on fire because no one would give him money.


“JoJo’s a good person when you don’t make him mad,” Shanna Williams said. “When you make him mad, he’s like a bomb about to explode.”


Williams has known Perez Deshay Reed since he was a boy. He now stands accused by the FBI of killing five people in Missouri and two in Kansas. Reed suffers a mental illness, hears voices, and refuses to take his medicine according to his aunt. Reed told a federal judge at a hearing that he normally takes the antipsychotic drug Haldol but was not currently taking it. He did not say how long he had been off the medication.

Williams, 50, said she knows about Reed’s troubles because he has talked about “the voices” before.

“He hears voices in his head and the voices will tell him, ‘Go do this to them, do that’ and that’s what he’ll do,” she said. “When (people) make him mad, he will hurt them. Any little thing. Say, you owe him some money and you didn’t pay him, or something didn’t go his way. Any little thing will tick him off.”

The fire at the home on Canfield was years ago, in August 2016, but his aunt Shanna Williams is still pretty pissed by close call. She and her sick mother escaped through a window after Reed used gasoline to set the garage on fire, Williams said. Reed was arrested and jailed for arson, but the case ultimately was dropped when the family declined to testify against him according to a Ferguson detective.

Williams said she has seen different sides of Reed and some in the family are now so angry that they want him locked up for good. But Williams also spoke about some of his good qualities.

“He’ll help you. He’s a nice person. He’ll work. He’s got a good side to him, but his illness allows him to act out,” Williams said. “He has worked, but he can’t hold a job because he can’t deal with society.”


He has worked jobs at fast-food restaurants mainly, but not for long. “He don’t like people telling him what to do,” Williams said. “If people tell him what to do, he’ll snap.”


A former co-worker, Robert McIntire, said he worked with Reed at Sam’s Meat Market in Ferguson.

“He was extra helpful a lot,” McIntire said. “But you could tell he was off and needed mental attention.”


McIntire said Reed “would disappear and pop back up” and was often also spotted around the market panhandling.

Let’s move on to the rest of the known victims so far


Sept. 12: A man was waiting at a bus stop about 9 p.m. at 1624 Chambers Road in Dellwood, MO when he was approached from behind and shot several times in the chest without warning. The man, identified in court papers as “L.M.” survived but has been left permanently disabled. At the scene, police found several .40-caliber cartridge Smith & Wesson casings.

Sept. 13, 2021 - 16-year-old Marnay Haynes on Sept. 13, 2021 [St. Louis County] Shot in the head

was fatally shot in the arm and head at 9:34 p.m. in the 9900 block of Glen Owen Drive south of Chambers Road in unincorporated St. Louis County. Haynes was a runaway who had spent time in a group home.

She lived in the 5400 block of College Avenue in Jennings.

Police responded to a ShotSpotter activation at that location about 9:30 p.m. and found Marnay Haynes, who had been shot several times in the arm and head and was laying in the middle of the street. Haynes was pronounced dead at the scene.

Two "Sig" stamped .40-caliber Smith & Wesson cartridge cases were found at the scene.

Sept. 16: A woman identified as “R.H.” was shot in the face at 10:23 p.m. at the rear of 4542 Adelaide Avenue in St. Louis but made her way to a BP gas station in the 4100 block of West Florissant Avenue. She was conscious and breathing but couldn't tell police what happened.

Police followed a blood trail back to a residence at 4542 Adelaide Avenue. Police found a single "Sig" stamped .40-caliber Smith & Wesson cartridge. The woman was later admitted to an intensive care unit.

Sept. 16: 49-year-old Pamela Abercrombie on Sept. 16 [St. Louis] Shot in the head

The 49-year-old grandmother always went out of her way to help in her neighborhood, cutting the grass for older residents and working odd jobs for people who needed it, her cousin Tillonni Hamilton said.


Now, the family is mourning Abercrombie after she was shot around 11:45 p.m. less than an hour and a half after R.H. was shot and only 7 blocks away on Sept. 16 on a sidewalk in the 3800 block of West Florissant Avenue. She was found shot in the head and taken to a hospital, where she died. Police said Abercrombie, a St. Louis native and mother of four, was from Spanish Lake, but her family said she had been living in north city with her boyfriend before she died.


Her daughter, Jamia Abercrombie, suspected she may have been shot as she headed back to her house after making a run to the convenience store and that she was grateful that the police had arrested someone and said a guilty conviction may bring some closure, but it wouldn’t bring back the person she loved so much, or the time Pamela spent with her 5-year-old son.


“She was an amazing mother, grandmother and cousin,” Hamilton said. “Everybody loved her.” One "Sig" stamped .40-caliber Smith & Wesson cartridge was found at the scene.

Sept. 19: 24-year-old Carey Ross on Sept. 19 [St. Louis] Shot in the head

At 12:10 p.m., police were called to the 1500 block of Mullanphy Street in St. Louis. Carey Ross, 24, was face down in a vacant lot. He had been shot in the head and body. Police said the dried blood at the scene indicated that Ross had been there around 12 hours. One "Sig" stamped .40-caliber Smith & Wesson cartridge was near the body. The shooting may have occurred up to 3 days before his body was found.

Sept. 26: 40-year-old Lester Robinson on Sept. 26, 2021 [St. Louis County] Shot in the head

At 7:15 a.m., Ferguson police got a ShotSpotter call for gunshots near 1710 Barbados Lane. Police found Lester Robinson, 40, dead. He had been shot in the head and hand. Police found two "Sig" stamped .40-caliber Smith & Wesson cartridges near Robinson's body.

Lester Cortez Robinson returned to his hometown four years ago to be with family, the ones who remember the heydays at Affton High School where Robinson played basketball and football and was homecoming king.


Robinson, who turned 40 in March, had been away for years in Florida but settled back into life here by working a landscaping job and sleeping on his dad’s couch at a housing complex in the city’s Jeff-Vander-Lou neighborhood.


“He wanted to be around us, the family,” said Robinson’s half-brother, Devon Bell.

His family doesn’t hide the fact that Robinson was fighting a drug addiction, first opioid painkillers after a back injury, then heroin. As his father tried a “tough love” approach to get his son off drugs, Robinson spent weekends in Ferguson and would play slots at Sam’s Meat Market. That’s where, Bell says, Robinson likely ran across Perez Reed, who panhandled there and was paid sporadically to pick up debris from the market parking lot.

“My brother didn’t hang with this guy every day,” Bell said. “They did heroin together.”


Reed, 26, is charged in Robinson’s Sept. 26 murder and described by the FBI as a possible serial killer. Robinson was fatally shot near a boarded-up residence in a secluded spot in Ferguson on a Sunday morning. Police haven’t divulged a motive or given a connection between Reed and his alleged victims.


The information from Bell, however, gives the first glimpse into Reed’s possible connection to at least one victim and how their paths crossed. Reed had cousins in Ferguson and stayed on and off with them on Canfield Drive, not far from the market. Robinson’s family theorizes Robinson was lured to the grassy area between some apartments and robbed of drugs, then killed behind 1710 Barbados Lane. He was shot in the head and hand, in the same “distinctive manner” police said they saw along the serial killer’s trail.

Robinson went by the nickname “Lil’ Les.” His father, Lester Eugene Robinson, had the moniker “Big Les.”

Lester Eugene Robinson said his son was his only child and his best friend. They lived together at the Metropolitan Village Apartments on the city’s near north side. The son slept on his father’s pullout couch, below a framed art print of a dreamy ocean scene that reminded him of Florida, where his two daughters live with their mother. The girls are 16 and 11 years old. He talked to them weekly by phone.

“He would say, ‘I’ve gotta get back to my girls,’” Lester Eugene Robinson said.


His son liked to read crime fiction and mysteries, particularly by authors Walter Mosley and James Patterson. A self-taught barber, he kept his clippers clean and sharp and would cut friends’ hair for free.


Returning to St. Louis, Robinson “fell on some hard times,” his father said, referring to the drug addiction. Lester Eugene Robinson said he tried to help his son get off drugs. The father, who is 60 years old, has experience working with troubled young people. For two decades, he worked as a counselor for at-risk teens in St. Louis Public Schools and was a home-school liaison for the Dropout Prevention Project at Roosevelt High School.


When it came to his own son, Lester Eugene Robinson wanted to be a friend and support network. But also, “I tried the tough-love thing,” he said. “I’d drive him through areas known as drug areas and I’d point out the addicts living on the street, and I’d say, ‘This could be you.’”


The father hadn’t heard from his son by the morning of Sept. 27, the day after he was killed, so he called around but couldn’t find him. He called a hospital to see if he had overdosed. Then he called the medical examiner’s office, where a morgue attendant said they had one unidentified shooting victim. The father described his son’s “Beast Mode” tattoo on his back. The morgue attendant said, “Sir, maybe you should just come out here.” Lester Eugene Robinson went to identify his son’s body.


Oct. 28, 2021: 2021 deaths of Damon Washington Irvin

After taking a train to Kansas City, Reed was spotted at 11:15 p.m. on surveillance cameras entering the Wyandotte Towers apartment of a man in the 900 block of Washington Boulevard in Kansas City, Kansas. The man, Damon Irvin, was with him. Reed left seven hours later, but Irvin was not seen alive again. Police found Irvin, 35, in his apartment on Nov. 1, dead of gunshot wounds.

Irvin’s family says he was a gifted musician, a college graduate and someone who would help anyone. His brother, Dalano Hill doesn’t want people to forget just how talented he was.


“He brung joy to a lot of people. You don't understand, this is a man who got a scholarship to sing opera in Germany,” Hill said. He obtained his Associates Degree in Music/Choir from KU in Lawrence, KS.


The family says Irvin had only lived at Wyandotte Towers for a couple of months.


"We are hurt right now. We're hurting,” Hill said.

“Let this be over fast man. Don't drag us through no more bro. You already done took something away from us that was so precious,” Hill said.


Because of the way he was murdered, family says they can't have an open-casket funeral.


“Wish I could have my son back, but I can't somebody took his life,” Irvin’s mother Bridgette Stevens said.


Oct. 29, 2021: Rau’daja De’Naya Farrow [Kansas City, Kansas]

Reed and a woman, Rau'Daja Fairrow, 25, entered the same Wyandotte Towers apartment building in Kansas City just before 7 p.m. Reed left about 15 minutes later, and Fairrow's nude body was found Nov. 2 in her apartment. She had been shot in her head and upper back, and her cellphone and wallet were missing. Reed showed his driver's license to enter the building, and surveillance cameras captured the distinctive crescent moon-shaped tattoo on his forehead. According to authorities, the two had communicated over cell phone 652 times in October.




In a hearing in U.S. District Court in St. Louis held by Zoom on Friday March 4th, 2022, David Bruns, a lawyer for Perez Deshay Reed, said the person conducting a mental exam of Reed has not yet done so, and still has to review "extensive" medical records.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Ryan Finlen said several hundred pages of medical records have been turned over to Reed's lawyers.


U.S. Magistrate Judge John Bodenhausen set a status conference for June 3, 2022, which was this last Friday so being that it’s Sunday June 5th we don’t have access to the judge’s decision yet but we will continue to provide update episodes.

As of now, Reed is facing the Missouri courts for his killings of 16-year-old runaway, Marnay Haynes, on Sept. 13 in North County, 49 yr old Pamela Abercrombie on Sept. 16 and Carey Ross, 24, on Sept. 19. in St. Louis, 40 yr old Lester Robinson on Sept. 26 in Ferguson, and the Nov. 2021 murder of Stephon D. Johnson in Kansas City Missouri.

Once the Missouri courts are through with Reed he will be extradited to Kansas to face trial in the October 2021 murders of 35 yr old Damon Washington Irvin and 25 yr old Rau’daja De’Naya Farrow.


He is now being held in the Jackson County Detention Center in St. Louis without bond.




Visit our store  HERE for all of your favorite serial killer gear!!!

Donate on Anchor Here

Buy Me a Coffee

Review us on PodChaser

Please send all correspondence to:
The American Serial Killer Guidebook or TASKG
P.O. Box 3689
Lawton, Ok. 73502

Email Us:




google.com, pub-4571985251499051, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0